Monday, April 24, 2006

A calling

As I walked along the railroad tracks this afternoon it struck me how amazing it is that God uses us in ways that we would never expect. As recently as last summer I had written off the idea of becoming a worship leader. I wanted to avoid the pride that I perceived as a commonplace error in worship pastors. But God had something in mind.

While I was at work making photocopies, Pastor Aaron called me and asked to meet with me. I agreed, and a couple days later we were sitting at a local coffeehouse. Aaron asked me to consider leading the "Tuesday Band," which is essentially a training band for our church's Sunday night Celebration services. I agreed to pray about it and soon clearly saw that it was God asking me to do this for his Church. He wasn't going to let me out of it. And funny, I had told God beforehand that I would only be a worship leader if I felt a clear calling.

Of course, Tuesday Band did not entail leading a congregation in worship. But God has been steadily pushing me into a more public use of my gifts to encourage the church, and this Sunday morning he put me on stage leading the entire congregation in worship of his glory. I can't say I wasn't scared. I made all sorts of goofball mistakes during the first service ("what am I supposed to do now?!") but the joy of using my musical gifts to serve my church family made it all worth it!

I encourage all of you who are in Christ to seek out ways to use your gifts! Pray about it. Talk to pastors and other leaders. We were designed to be used in our own unique way, and we are most satisfied when we can be ourselves and use our God-given gifts to serve his body! Whether it's musical talent, a knack with tools, or simply a warm heart, we all have something to offer others!

5 comments:

Rach said...

Yes!!! I'm the first to leave a comment!!!! Finally you have joined the blogging world!!! Keep using those gifts Chris....it's so awesome when we worship God in the way He created us...being who we are brings Him such glory....(hence the reason I too enjoy those personality tests...hehe!)
:-)

Anonymous said...

I must agree it is a fabulous feeling when you know your talents are being used by the Lord!! Yay for God using you. :)

beckalippy said...

If the above is Erin who lives with Rachel, i will laugh so hard. anyways, Chris, I think you are right on here. I have seen in my life over and over, how I take a gift that God has given me and either use it for bad purposes or I let my pride take over when people are blessed by the gift. Have you ever talked to Belinda Oberum??? She is one of the few people I really got to know who lead worship and she has the most amazing attitude about it. Her love to God and her love for bringing people before the throne of God is just beautiful. I totally recommend that you seek her out and talk to her about it. If you so, tell her that her favorite accountability partner says hi!

Chris Shotwell said...

Yes, that's my neighbor Erin who lives with my neighbor Rachel! And I know Belinda. I've played with her a few times and she's awesome... great heart. And tell me, what's worse, having pride when people are blessed or not blessing people at all? Just playing devil's advocate; it's something to think about :-) Really the key is being constantly aware that everything we have is a gift from God: our faith, our talents, and all of our possessions. His grace is abundant!

Lara Nichols said...

wow, three comments from one house!!! I totally agree that you have to use the gifts God gave you in order to bring glory to Him.... Glad that you've joined the blogging world :)