Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I'm back!

After a long hiatus I've decided to restart my blog. I thought about starting a new one but chose to continue this one and let people see my personal evolution, as it were. 

And a lot has changed in the past year and a bit. I traveled to Asia aboard the Golden Bear and saw many wondrous things (okay, a little cheesy). And... well, maybe not that much. I'm still me, still trying to figure out my life, still in school studying City and Regional Planning, still single (after a brief stint in relationship land), and still spending way too much time reading about interesting things on Wikipedia. 

I've certainly broadened my horizons and learned to appreciate the positive things that religions can offer despite my atheism, and I've grown to appreciate the importance of family and community, particularly in the absence of the built-in friendships of a religious institution. 

I've also come much closer to my graduation date in June. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it scares the shit out of me. Maybe it's the economy or the idea that I'm no closer to having a plan for my life than when I entered college, but my impending release from the university after 6 years doesn't carry the feelings of excitement and adventure that my high school graduation did. I'm trying to be upbeat about it but nobody else seems to be either, which doesn't help. 

On that happy note, something I actually am excited (and a little nervous) about is the Peace Corps. That's right! I'm in the process of applying! They have five "municipal development" positions open for Latin America starting in August. It's quite soon but I was advised by a recruiter that, due to my skill set being in demand abroad, I'd be quite competitive. 

Well, that was a brief update but I'll be adding more soon. Hope all is well wherever you are!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Your blog is back, horray! Now I can spy on you muahahahahahahaha. I'm telling Dad you said SHIT. (JK). Congratulations on applying for the peace corps!

Tenemos que practicar espanol mucho; una hora cada semana, o mas. Debemos ir a una taqueria y tomar unas coronas y hablar espanol con las otras en el grupo. Chevere?

Rachel said...

YEEEES!!! You have returned! FINALLY! Now, we'll see if you keep those posts coming. I've actually been thinking of restarting mine as well, thanks for furthering my inspiration. ;-)