Friday, May 19, 2006

Mayday (revisited)

I realize that I haven't yet posted a post-Mayday post (how's that for re-using words?) so I'd like to talk about that.

The weekend started with a slight hitch: when I arrived at the church slightly late, one of the guys (who will not be named here, Josh) who was signed up for my vehicle was not there. After about 45 minutes Mini, Kim and I decided to take off. Turns out the young man had contacted another person (who will also remain unnamed... for reals) the night before and was not attending the trip, but the chain of communication stopped there. I'm not bitter (for reals).

Anyway after an adventure involving an unexpected passenger switch, a broken caravan, and a wrong turn that took us past CSU Monterey Bay (strange area!), Mini and I arrived at Mount Hermon after dinner and part-way through the first worship service. I'm not bitter.

Actually, the weekend was excellent. Arriving in the forest of the Santa Cruz Mountains was such a pleasant feeling. Being born in the Northwest and spending five of my formative years in the Portland area really makes me appreciate tall trees and dense undergrowth. I instantly relaxed upon driving under the canopy of the ponderosa pines.

Another highlight was definitely Derek Webb's concert on Saturday. What an amazing musician and songwriter! I particularly enjoyed the song "Table for Two," an old Caedmon's Call song which Derek wrote, describing a night when he and a friend stayed up late at IHOP discussing "women and the sovereignty of God." I can't tell you how many times I've had such a conversation, and I felt like I would have put the same words in that song if I had written it! Anyway, he really appreciated the theme of our retreat and tailored his set to fit our theme ("Loving like Jesus would").

Well, I feel like I'm not actually saying anything so I'm going to peace out, fools. See, I'm totally goofy right now. But I'm not bitter.

No comments: