Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My surprise staring contest

Yesterday I went out to Los Osos Oaks State Preserve (in Los Osos, nonetheless!) to hike and pray. I climbed onto an oak limb hanging over the trail and sat there for a few minutes. About fifty yards ahead of me I heard some crows in the trees making a racket. I thought, "don't they do that when there's a predator around?" Wouldn't it be wild...

All of a sudden a bobcat runs down the trail toward me! About 20 feet away, it sees me in my perch and stops. It stares at me, slowly backing up, for about five seconds, until I shout and it runs back into the undergrowth!

3 comments:

Rach said...

Hmm....you are under attack it seems. Chris, sometimes you just need to embrace those stalkers around you....they're just being who they are. ;-)

Anonymous said...

are you, like, really brave and super awesome? Cause it seems like it.

Chris Shotwell said...

I'm not so sure about that... I only shouted at the bobcat because I was kind of afraid of it!